Saturday, August 15, 2009

I Like Myself! - Karen Beaumont

Summary: I like myself--inside and out! Why? Just because I'm ME! At once silly and serious, this exuberant ode to self-esteem is sassy, soulful--and straight from the heart. (summary from inside flap - photo from librarythings.com)

My review: I picked this book up at a book fair a few years ago and fell in love with it instantly. Most women will acknowledge how difficult it is to instill a healthy sense of self-esteem into girls of any age, but this book is a great way to start the conversation. It's about a little girl who likes herself for who she is! No matter what anyone else says--she knows her worth. David Catrow's oh-so-unique illustrating abilities, and Karen Beamont's meaningful, yet fun, message combine to make must-read must-buy book for your own young ones.

I'm going to type the words out so that you can get the full effect of this rhythmically, rhyming book that holds the distinction of being one of a small number of their books that I actually NEVER tire of reading. Again, I want to credit these words to the lovely and talented Karen Beaumont (who hopefully won't freak out to have her content copied in such a manner)

I like myself! I'm glad I'm me.
There's no one else I'd rather be.
I like my eyes, my ears, my nose.
I like my fingers and my toes.
I like me wild. I like me tame.
I like me different and the same.
I like me fast. I like me slow.
I like me everywhere I go.
I like me on the inside, too,
for all I think and say and do.
Inside, outside, upside down,
from head to toe and all around,
I like it all! It all is me!
And me is all I want to be.
And I don't care in any way
what someone else my think or say.
I may be called a silly nut
or crazy cuckoo bird-so what?
I'm having too much fun, you see,
for anything to bother me!
Even when I look a mess,
I still don't like me any less,
'cause nothing in this world, you know,
can change what's deep inside, and so....
No matter if they stop and stare,
no person
ever
anywhere
can make me feel that what they see
is all there really is to me.
I'd still like me with fleas or warts,
or with a silly snout that snorts,
or knobby knees or hippos hips
or purple polka-dotted lips,
or beaver breath or stinky toes
or horns protruding from my nose,
or--yikes--with spikes all down my spine,
or hair that's like a porcupine.
I still would be the same, you see...
I like myself because I'm ME!

Seriously. I love this book. I have actually had to buy several copies so that when one bites the dust another can take it's place. And, the only reason I had to refer to the book to write the above text was to correctly place the punctuation. I've actually quoted it to myself a time or two when I start looking a little to closely in the mirror.

My rating: 5 Stars

Sum it up: If you have little girls, BUY THIS BOOK, and read it to them often!!

No comments:

Post a Comment