Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sophie's Favorite Children's Books

This book list comes courtesy of Sophie Oja, a fabulous little girl I happen know (and love dearly). Since today is her birthday, I'm posting this in honor of her fiery little four-year-old spirit. I held up all our books and let her tell me if they went in the "favorites" stack or not. Then, after she went to bed I removed all the cheesy ones with Disney princesses on the cover (there were at least ten) and all the books I know she selected based solely on the cover (having never read them to her before). Here is what was left:


Sophie's Favorite Children's Books
Animal Families - DK Publishing
Are You Quite Polite? (silly dilly manners songs) - Alan Katz
The Bear's Toothache - David McPhail
The Biggest Sandwich Ever** - Rita Golden Gelman
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - Bill Martin, Jr.
Curious George Goes Camping - Margret & H.A. Rey's
Dinosaur Roar** - Paul & Henrietta Stickland
Eight Animals on the Town** - Susan Middleton Elya
Gigi : God's Little Princess - Sheila Walsh
Going to Sleep on the Farm** - Wendy Cheyette Lewison
Green Eggs and Ham - Dr. Suess
The Gruffalo** - Julia Donaldson
Horton Hatches the Egg - Dr. Suess
How The Grinch Stole Christmas! - Dr. Suess
I Love You, Stinky Face** - Lisa McCourt
If You Give a Pig a Pancake** - Laura Numeroff
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat** - Simms Taback
Lissy's Friends** - Grace Lin
Llama Llama Red Pajama** - Anna Dewdney
A Mud Pie for Mother - Scott Beck
My Body Series - Sally Hewitt
My Lucky Day - Keiko Kasza
My Two Hands, My Two Feet**- Rick Walton
Naughty Little Monkeys** - Jim Aylesworth
Noah's Ark - Laurence T. Lorimer
Officer Buckle and Gloria** - Peggy Rathman
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish** - Dr. Suess
Parts - Tedd Arnold
The Paper Bag Princess - Robert Munsch
Pinkalicious** - Victoria Kann & Elizabeth Kahn
Popcorn - Frank Asch
The Rainbow Fish - Marcus Pfister
Raindrop, PLOP!** - Wendy Cheyette Lewison
Skippyjon Jones - Judy Schachner
Snowmen at Christmas - Caralyn Buehner
Snowmen at Night** - Caralyn Buehner
Somewhere in the Ocean - Jennifer Ward
Take Me Out of the Bathtub and other silly dilly songs** - Alan Katz
There's a Nightmare in my Closet - Mercer Mayer
Tinkerbell: A Guide to Pixie Hollow** - Elle D. Risco
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs - Jon Scieszka
The Velveteen Rabbit (adapted for young readers) - Margery Williams
When Sophie Gets Angry-Really, Really Angry... - Molly Bang
Where Did They Hide My Presents (silly dilly Christmas Songs) - Alan Katz
Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak
Where's Waldo - Martin Handford
Won't You Be My Kissaroo? - Joanne Ryder
Zinnia's Flower Garden - Monica Wellington

**Books we've read so much that we've both got them memorized.

No comments:

Post a Comment