Monday, November 23, 2009

The Swan Maiden - Heather Tomlinson

Summary: In the quiet hour before dawn...Anything can happen. A third daughter can dream of being a creature of flight and magic, of wearing a swan skin like her sisters. But Doucette must run the castle household while her sisters learn to weave spells. Her dream of flying is exactly that...until the day she discovers her own hidden birthright. Sudden, soaring freedom--it is a wish come true. Yet not even magic can protect against every danger, especially where the heart is involved. As she struggles to find her own way in the world. Doucette risks losing the one person she loves most of all. (Image from dealoz.com - Summary from book)

My review: I don't have much to say about this book, other than I chose it as a way to escape from another, equally interesting, yet much more troublesome book I was reading. I needed a break and I happily found it in The Swan Maiden, an enchanting and romantic story, strongly reminiscent of old fairy tales and folklore. At just under 300 pages, it didn't take long to read and was a wonderfully relaxing way to spend a Saturday morning, while my kids filled their heads with cartoons.

This book is 100% PG (if that) and I'd recommend it to anyone who is just looking for some easy escapist reading. It also reminded me a lot of Shannon Hale's The Goose Girl, and not just in it's affection for our feathered friends. I'll definitely be checking out Tomlinson's other books (releasing in early 2010) when I feel that pressing need to just get away.

My rating: 4 Stars

Sum it up: A nice escape from our crazy crazy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment