Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bumpy Landings - Donald J. Carey

Summary: All his life, Jordan MacDonald has dreamed of taking flight and soaring above the majestic mountains of his native Hawaii, but he doesn’t dare disobey his mother, who has absolutely forbidden him to fly. Suddenly everything changes when, spurred by the pain of a failed relationship, Jordan begins working toward the coveted pilot’s license. Just as he finds love again, Jordan’s lies start to close in around him, and he soon learns that a life full of dishonesty attracts more turbulence than he’s ever faced in the air.


Set against the exotic backdrop of the Hawaiian islands, this thrilling tale of romance and self-discovery is a perfect vacation from the average love story. Join Jordan as he tests the limits of friendship and finds out just how far his dreams can carry him. Entertaining and engaging, Bumpy Landings will take you to new heights with each turn of the page.  (Summary from book - Image from goodreads.com - Book given free for review)

My Review: I haven't traveled a lot, but by reading you can go anywhere the book takes you—this book took me to Hawaii. I’d like to say I laid on the beach and soaked up the sun and enjoyed the lush green vegetation, but I didn’t.  Instead, I was involved in a young man’s life and his search for someone to love. The story line took several twists and turns but the basic plot centered on his love life, or lack of it, depending on which part of the book you were reading. I actually found parts of Bumpy Landings rather painful to read because they reminded me of what my social life was like when I was much younger—it was hard to relive that. That being said, I feel like this book would have made a good “young adult” fiction book. It was a very light, easy read with very few, if any surprises.

The plot was not deep so it was easy to follow, but I wanted more -- something to make me think, keep me wanting to read, and wondering what would happen next. It was a “happily ever after” story, and for some that would be enough. For me, I would have liked more than just lush green surroundings and fragrant exotic flowers.

My Rating: 3 stars

Sum it up: A light “happily ever after” read with a predictable ending.


(Reviewed by Chris)

No comments:

Post a Comment