Sunday, May 22, 2011

Birdy Skirt


Sometimes you never know when Inspiration is going to hit, and the other day as I was walking through the home decor department at Target, Inspiration hit me right smack in the left eye in the form of a shower curtain.




I couldn’t resist the sweet little birds printed on the fabric, so I bought the curtain, got it into my studio and worked a little sewing magic and ended up with this a-lined skirt.

I gave it a waist yoke to make the skirt extremely wearable for both casual and slightly dressier occasions.


The shower curtain fabric needed a little support, so I lined the skirt with an old bed sheet, and let me tell you, this sucker is as soft as a pool full of marshmallows. Wearing it is like walking through a cloud. Yum!

Oh, and I added a little ribbon to the hem to make it purty.



I wanted to add a little more detail to the skirt, so I used some rick-rack to finish of the hem.


But the best part?
I had enough fabric left over that I was able to make a little curtain for my new studio window.


But even better than that?
I used the button holes that were already there (cause it was a shower curtain) to run the curtain through my curtain rod, which means all I had to do was hem the thing.
Talk about easy!
 Now those are my kind of projects!

Happy Sewing!
~Melisa & Cordelia


No comments:

Post a Comment