Monday, May 23, 2011

Cinderella : Ninja Warrior - Maureen McGowan

Cinderella: Ninja Warrior is part of the Twisted Tales series by Maureen McGowan. Also in the series? Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer.

Summary:  In this fast-paced story full of adventure and romance, Cinderella is more than just a servant girl waiting for her prince -- she's a tough, fearless girl who is capable of taking charge in a dangerous situation.  Seeking to escape the clutches of her evil stepmother, Cinderella perfects her ninja skills and magic talents in secret, waiting for the day when she can break free and live happily ever after.  In a special twist, you will have the opportunity to make key decisions for Cinderella and decide where she goes next -- but no matter the choice, the result is unlike any fairy tale you've ever read.  (Summary from book - Image from amazon.com)

My Review: The second I saw the title of this book I knew my daughters would love it. Like most young girls ages five and seven, they enjoy dressing as princesses, but mine like to roam around the house as pirates, jedis, and ninjas, as well.

Whether you like this book or not will probably depend on your age. From an early tween or YA perspective, this book will likely register as a fast paced, unique, and innocently romantic story of a much more assertive Cinderella. As an adult, I found it all a bit melodramatic, disconnected, and silly, but enjoyed the choose-your-own adventure aspect and think most twelve-year-old girls will eat it up.

My girls certainly loved the addition of Cinderella’s spectacularly acquired ninja skills and magical abilities. That having been said, I quit reading it (to them) because I felt that the romantic aspect of the story was a bit over their heads – nothing inappropriate mind you – just more gushy and wistful than I’m ready for them to be reading. They threw a fit. Perhaps I should have paid closer attention to the 12 and up recommendation.

While this book wasn’t necessarily to my tastes, I applaud the author’s attempt to infuse traditional fairytale with an inventive plot and an empowering heroine. I love that the reader can choose how Cinderella will act without cutting the story short, and I do plan to save this book for my girls to read when they are a bit older.

My Rating: 3 Stars for an adult, 3.5 for an older tween or YA reader.

For the sensitive reader: One use of “breasts” when “chest” would have worked just fine. Other than that, you’re home free.

Sum it up: An interesting twist on a well-known fairytale.

No comments:

Post a Comment