Saturday, May 28, 2011

Top 10 Best Hollywood Movies

I have been a movie buff ever since I can remember. It really began with my father’s passion for ‘English movies’, as we called the Hollywood movies that made their way to our Indian movie theater screens, and my mother’s passion for Hindi cinema, or Bollywood movies as they are termed these days.

So, a large chunk of my growing years were spent in darkened cinema halls as I experienced the thrills of war movies, action films, and westerns, the chills of horror movies, going into splits over the comedies, and being enthralled by the dramas and the historical epics… Indeed I have seen Hollywood movies ranging across a wide spectrum of genres, right from their black and white days to the movies of today with their computer generated special effects.

Hence, it’s really hard to make a list of the top 10 best Hollywood movies without leaving out many, many others that deserve to be chosen, because so many are unique and great in their own way.

Of course, selecting the top 10 Hollywood movies is a subjective exercise at best; however, great movies usually have a few common factors about them. First of all, as far as I am concerned, I enjoy movies that have great performances, a storyline that grips my imagination and that indefinable something about them that just reaches out and touches your inner core – a universal human experience, is the best way that I can describe it. Secondly, great movies have an ageless, timeless quality about them, and can be seen over and over, without ever getting old. And that is certainly the case with the movies I have listed below (and many more besides) – I can see them again and again, which I have, without ever tiring of them. And thirdly, great movies are not merely entertaining, but somehow manage to get themselves etched in your memory because of a certain statement they make – it could be about an era, or about a philosophical conundrum, or about the human situation… anything, really!

No comments:

Post a Comment