Monday, May 30, 2011

Why Should I Do Business With You (15 Word Response)?

Get ready for that question Somebody walked up to me after a recent speech and said, "In 15 words, why should I do business with you?"
You need a good response. After you have created an elevator pitch and are comfortable presenting it, condense it even further. You might come into contact with someone who may have heard hundreds of elevator pitches and wants something even more concise. They may want 15 words. You have to be ready.
The 15-word response I responded, "I can turn your problems into solutions. I've been doing this since 1992." That was 13 words (five seconds). It met his criteria and helped establish a dialog. We ended up talking for another 10 minutes. When you have an answer, you look competent and invite new business. If you don't have one, you may end up looking inexperienced to a prospect. I am sharing a few more similar responses for your review. They're all 15 words or fewer:
  • I can turn your problems into solutions. I've been doing this since .
  • I can turn your problems into solutions. How can I help you today?
  • I'm a business owner too. This works for me and my business.
  • My customers are jumping for joy!
  • I was skeptical at first, but I gave it a shot. It works great!
  • My product is not the cheapest, but it is the best value.
  • You won't have to think about anymore.
  • Pay me to think about . You're running a business.
  • It works. It works right. You won't have to think about it at midnight.
Embrace one of these or create one of your own. Create a worksheet to help you answer the "Why should I do business with you?" question. Write the date in the left column and your 15-word responses in the right column. Get ready for this question. You may need a 15-word response tomorrow.
Daphne's Answer I have a friend, Daphne the Dancer. Daphne already has sufficient information for three elevator pitches. She tells me, "I don't know what to do. I'm working at my 9-5 job, I'm still teaching at the health club, and I'm launching my business. Can I get 90 seconds to recite three elevator pitches in a row?"
"No. That would confuse everybody. Stick with what you are pursuing. That is how you want people to remember you. That is where you're looking for help, vendors, customers, and referrals. It's OK to say what you are pursuing as long as you're not physically at the 9-5 job or the health club when you say that. Keep your separate occupations separate. It's also OK to tell people you are launching your own dance studio and it won't happen in a New York minute."
"OK. I am going with: 'My name is Daphne Prancer. I dance. I have danced professionally in 10 countries. I have taught dance locally since 2005 and am opening Daphne Dance Company soon. I am looking for dance students of all ages. It's OK if they're deaf-I know sign language.'"
"That sounds pretty good. Let's move on to another item. What will you say when you don't have enough time for the elevator pitch? You may have someone approach you and say, 'Why should I do business with you?' Daphne, you may be surprised by how many people cannot answer that question quickly."

No comments:

Post a Comment