Monday, March 7, 2011

The Friday Night Knitting Club - Kate Jacobs

Summary:  Juggling the demands of her yarn shop and single-handedly raising a teenage daughter has made Georgia Walker grateful for her Friday Night Knitting Club. Her friends are happy to escape their lives too, even for just a few hours. But when Georgia's ex suddenly reappears, demanding a role in their daughter's life, her whole world is shattered.

Luckily, Georgia's friends are there, sharing their own tales of intimacy, heartbreak, and miracle making. And when the unthinkable happens, these women will discover that what they've created isn't just a knitting club: it's a sisterhood.   (
From the publisher.  Image from http://www.trashionista.com/images/fridaynight.jpg)

My Review:  Reading this was like eating a store-bought cookie.  You enjoy it, it wasn't much work, and sometimes there are small bit and pieces that aren't your favorite, but it's good enough you'll consume the whole thing.  The writing was ok.  For me, Jacobs is the queen of fragments used for impact.  While I understand the use, and often it is very helpful, it was overdone in the Friday Night Knitting Club.  The other aspect that fell short in my eyes was the way her characters were crafted.  Every single character had a foul mouth.  In today's age, this isn't that uncommon or surprising, but one of the characters I don't believe should have had a cleaner vocabulary.  A woman in her 70's who lived a privileged lifestyle in New York City, married and from a religious Jewish background just didn't fit that she should be dropping four letter words.  The other characters, fine.  Anita?  No.  That and the way the characters swore so often, they started to sound alike.  James, the only male character you spent much time hearing from his perspective, started to sound like the Friday Night Knitters.

Aside from those inconsistencies and the overdone fragments, the story was charming and feel-good.  I won't ruin the ending, but even with a twist thrown in that those of you who've read the book would probably contend is NOT feel-good, I left with that same feel-good experience.  I thoroughly enjoyed learning about knitting--what I could imagine.  I enjoyed getting to know the characters and their back stories.  I also loved reading about New York.  I can't help myself when it comes to New York.  It's such a fascinating and amazing city.  I haven't done my research, but now I'm curious to know if there is a quaint yarn shop on the second story of a building in New York.  I'm sure there is, but I'd love to have visited when we went to New York.

I'd recommend this to my friends and probably acquaintances, but definitely not to my mother.  I don't think she could get past the four-letter-words sprinkled  generously throughout.

My Rating: 3 stars--Warning for sensitive readers: Lots of four-letter-words, albeit rare with the most offensive.

Sum it up: A easy-reading, feel-good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment